History of Wayne County, Indiana
Chicago: Inter-State Publishing Co., 1884
977.263 I61a2 V.2C.2
Barnabas Barton was born in Franklin Township, Wayne Co., Ind., March 2, 1834, the eldest child of William and Lurana (Boswell) Barton. He received a common-school education and remained with his father on the farm till his marriage, Aug. 17, 1854, to Mary, daughter of Jacob and Maha'a Addleman. To them were born two daughters - Anna E., wife of Hamilton Chenoweth, and Florence A., wife of Isaac Chenoweth. After his marriage Mr. Barton resided on a farm in Wayne Township for one year. During the late war he enlisted in the Fifty-seventh Ohio Infantry, but on reaching Indianapolis he was honorably discharged on account of disability. He then resided in Whitewater ten years, and in 1873 he went to Kansas, but at the end of two years he returned to this county. In 1881 he erected a fine residence on his farm which he had purchased during the war, to which he removed and has since carried on farming and stock-raising. His wife died Feb. 4, 1882. she was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Br. Barton belongs to the same church. His father was a native of Maryland, of English decent, and a son of Edward and Ann Barton, who settled on section 1, Franklin Township, among the early settlers. Our subject's mother was a daughter of Barnabas and Jane Boswell, natives of North Carolina, who came to Wayne County in an early day. To William Barton and wife were born seven children, four of whom survive. William Barton was a successful farmer, and was the owner of a large property. He died April 7, 1877. His wife died in 1844.
Index | Family Tree | Concord Methodist Episcopal Cemetery
Photos, Comments, and Web Design © 2001, Sharp Sites, All Rights Reserved